When items start collapsing over on themselves you know it's time to either get rid of something or reorganize. So, today I did both.
Here's the BEFORE shot...
As you can see, things were a bit crammed. The time to do this was well overdue...
So, I took a tip from last month's Better Homes & Gardens magazine: organize your kitchen cabinet items into various baskets that you can pull from the cabinets while either cooking or baking.
GREAT idea! I love it... with the coupons I had for Michael's this cost me less than $20!!!
I bought 3 baskets...
The first one was a small one for my "use-all-the-time" spice/seasoning supplies and then a medium size basket for the "not-so-everyday" stuff.
So here's the AFTER shot...
And lastly, I bought a large basket for the baking supplies. This basket will go in another cabinet where I keep the canisters containing flour, sugar, confectioner's sugar, brown sugar, chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and cocoa powder.
Next? I worked on my cooking station... where I keep my knives, aromatics, oils, utensils, etc. In true "spring-cleaning" mode I took it all out, cleaned off the counter tops, hit it with 409, organized it all, and put it back in place.
I love my kitchen... it's kinda small. But it works for the here and now. I dream of a much larger kitchen with sliding drawers for the pots/pan, lids, etc. With a pull-out pantry where I can organize all my vinegars, oil, canned goodies, pastas, rice, etc.
And who knows if that will ever happen... but a girl can dream, can't she?! In the meantime, I'll be a good steward of what I have, make good meals for my hero-of-a-hubby and post on my blog from time to time.
I doubt a bigger kitchen will help me cook any better... so I'll just keep having fun!
enjoy your time in the kitchen...
- ► 2011 (46)
- RECIPE: Spaetzle and Dill Sauce
- RECIPE: Swedish Meatballs with Dill Sauce
- Red Velvet was made for HALLOWEEN!
- Spices, spices, spices... a tip from Trader Joe's
- RECIPE: The BETTER Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- Soup's On...
- Playing with pomegranates...
- A favorite: Trader Joe's Chocolate Croissants
- RECIPE: Spicy Chicken Soup
- Pear Pizzazz...
- RECIPE: Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- Chef John Besh's Braised Beef Short Ribs... aka go...
- Kettlecorn WINNERS!!!
- FOOD IDEA: Encrusted Mahi Mahi
- RECIPE: Spinach Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- it's just a good treat... and a CONTEST!!!
- RECIPE: Quinoa with Almond-crusted Tilapia
- RECIPE: Crock Pot French Dips
- RECIPE: Braised Yukon Golds
- reorganizing a small corner of the kitchen...
- ▼ October (20)