Monday, October 11, 2010
FOOD IDEA: Encrusted Mahi Mahi
Let me share a secret with you... shhh...
I learned a secret while watching Secrets of a Restaurant Chef. (It's just between me and you ok?!)
Chef Anne Burrell was talking about a tip she learned from Chef Mario Batali. And Mario Batali can do no wrong. So of course I perked up and listened even more intently.
She said he used instant potato flakes as a coating (aka "crust") on the outside of fish.
WAIT, wait, wait!!! WHAT?!
That's not very "chef - y" !!! Are you sure it was Chef Mario and not someone else?!
So I resolved to try it for myself... but on mahi mahi instead.
Using herbs from my own herb bowl out front ... I graved the italian flat-leaf parsley and thyme. And some chives from the store. These are used to flavor the potato flakes ever so slightly.
And I headed towards the dredging station... egg, herbed potato flake crust (but only crusting on one side)... and into the hot pan.
Judging the thickness of these fillets, I cooked them for about 4-5 minutes on the crust side (until the crust was golden brown). And then once they got flipped over they got another minute or two.
We had the fillets with Spinach Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
But don't take my word for it, or Chef Mario Batali's or Anne Burrell's for that matter... make it yourself! You can thank me later!
enjoy your time in the kitchen...
- ► 2011 (46)
- RECIPE: Spaetzle and Dill Sauce
- RECIPE: Swedish Meatballs with Dill Sauce
- Red Velvet was made for HALLOWEEN!
- Spices, spices, spices... a tip from Trader Joe's
- RECIPE: The BETTER Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- Soup's On...
- Playing with pomegranates...
- A favorite: Trader Joe's Chocolate Croissants
- RECIPE: Spicy Chicken Soup
- Pear Pizzazz...
- RECIPE: Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- Chef John Besh's Braised Beef Short Ribs... aka go...
- Kettlecorn WINNERS!!!
- FOOD IDEA: Encrusted Mahi Mahi
- RECIPE: Spinach Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- it's just a good treat... and a CONTEST!!!
- RECIPE: Quinoa with Almond-crusted Tilapia
- RECIPE: Crock Pot French Dips
- RECIPE: Braised Yukon Golds
- reorganizing a small corner of the kitchen...
- ▼ October (20)