Monday, October 11, 2010

FOOD IDEA: Encrusted Mahi Mahi



Let me share a secret with you... shhh...

I learned a secret while watching Secrets of a Restaurant Chef. (It's just between me and you ok?!)

Chef Anne Burrell was talking about a tip she learned from Chef Mario Batali. And Mario Batali can do no wrong. So of course I perked up and listened even more intently.

She said he used instant potato flakes as a coating (aka "crust") on the outside of fish.



WAIT, wait, wait!!! WHAT?!



That's not very "chef - y" !!! Are you sure it was Chef Mario and not someone else?!



So I resolved to try it for myself... but on mahi mahi instead.

Using herbs from my own herb bowl out front ... I graved the italian flat-leaf parsley and thyme. And some chives from the store. These are used to flavor the potato flakes ever so slightly.





And I headed towards the dredging station... egg, herbed potato flake crust (but only crusting on one side)... and into the hot pan.





Judging the thickness of these fillets, I cooked them for about 4-5 minutes on the crust side (until the crust was golden brown). And then once they got flipped over they got another minute or two.



We had the fillets with Spinach Garlic Mashed Potatoes.



But don't take my word for it, or Chef Mario Batali's or Anne Burrell's for that matter... make it yourself! You can thank me later!



enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails