Thursday, October 21, 2010

RECIPE: Spicy Chicken Soup



Today I'm home with a cold... I've got the sniffles, the sneezes, the sore throat, the puffy/watery eyes ... the whole enchilada...

So, I knew it was time to make the spicy chicken soup. In our household this is also known as the “when-you-have-a-cold-and-want-to-open-the-sinuses soup”. It's spicy... just what the Dr ordered.

But first let me ask... when writing a food blog how does one finely walk the line between today's necessity (a remedy) and keeping the post savory... especially when it comes to THIS topic?!

Well, read on if you want.

Here's where I started...




And as most soups start... saute some onion. This will start the layering process.



About a minute before the onions are ready, add the diced garlic...



... the garlic is then followed by the chicken, which I've cut into 1" pieces...



Toss the chicken with the onions and garlic and allow to cook.



Toss in the ground cumin, thyme and salt/pepper mixture to coat the chicken while cooking...



Toss the chicken until completely cooked ... and while you're waiting set out the beans to drain off some of the canning juices. I used Trader Joe's "Cuban Style Black Beans"... they are flavored slightly and have more heat in them than the regular canned black beans. (I just wanted more heat.)

You can use your favorite type... I won't get upset. I promise.



Then start adding the other flavors... the tomatoes...



Next the green chiles and corn...



Followed by the chicken stock...



Stir in the beans...



Add the tomato paste and red pepper flakes...



Bring to a boil, stir it well and reduce to a simmer...



Place a lid on the pot and allow the soup to simmer for at least a half hour...



When you're ready to eat dinner... or you just can't stand sniffling any longer... add the noodles (or rice), bring to a boil again and allow the pasta to cook.



Tonight I was just having a bowl or two... not the whole pot... so I spooned some out into a smaller pot and brought it to a boil. I tossed in the pasta and allowed it to boil until the pasta was cooked.





And then it was ready. I served up the soup, wrapped myself in a blanket and sat down to watch another tv show...




Now if I could just get over this cold... I'm running out of tv shows.




Spicy Chicken Soup
Recipe courtesy Lori Tisdale

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2-3 large garlic cloves, finely diced
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 quart chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes, fire roasted is preferred
1 can black beans, drained
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup frozen corn
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt/pepper

Optional: add egg noodles or rice at end, allow to boil enough to cook rice or noodles before serving

Instructions
In a large stock pot allow onion to saute in hot oil until translucent. In the last minute or two, add diced garlic and chicken. Add cumin, thyme and salt/pepper to taste. Stir well. Cook until chicken is done.

Add tomatoes, chicken stock, black beans, green chiles, corn, red pepper flakes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium-low. Cover. Allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes. But, the longer it cooks on a simmer the better the flavors have a chance to “marry”.



enjoy your time in the kitchen...

2 comments:

my life is a mosaic... said...

MMM...sounds divine. I a definitely trying this out. But I have to ask, what is that black tube of tomato paste?

P.S. I am loving The Closer. I've been watching old episodes on TBS. I'm hooked! There's 5 or 6 seasons worth...plenty of interesting tv watching! (Is it bad that I sorta would like a sick day -- laying on the couch watching movies and tv all day, sleeping whenever I want...yep, that's sad!)

Lori said...

That odd looking black tube of tomato paste is my dream come true! I used to be so upset over opening a can of tomato paste and then not needing the rest of it right away and having to throw it away. Most recipes only ask for a tablespoon or so. And even the small cans of tomato paste were a lot more than that. You can find the tubes near the rest of the tomato paste... in my grocery store it's up on the very top shelf... not obvious to the eye. Once it's opened, store it in the fridge. So handy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails