Saturday, July 17, 2010

pining for figs

Today, I wanted good figs...

I really wanted them to be the perfect figs.

They were "ok", just "alright"... but not what I was looking for exactly.




The inside of the figs are simply beautiful.



Bite right into them... and enjoy the mellow yet slight honey-like flavor.


If you don't know much about figs... read more here: About figs




Here's a challenge - next time you're at the market pick up a food item you're not sure about. Take it home, read up on it and do a taste test. Go ahead, be brave. Wait until you hear about my adventures in lychees.


Back to the figs: I remember once saying I didn't like figs. But in all reality I just didn't know enough to know what I was looking for. I didn't know at what stage of their ripening that they taste the best. It was just a matter of trying it and figuring it out. (Sidenote: Isn't that how life goes... we blindly judge something until we are open-minded enough to take the time to learn more about it and understand where it's coming from, the subject's strengths/weaknesses, how it's supposed to act, what it's capable of, etc.

Food imitating life... I love it!




enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails