Friday, July 16, 2010

my take on Croque-Monsieur... attempt #1

Croque-Monsieur... literally translated from French, the "Crispy Mister"

From what I understand it's the french take on a fancy grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

Make the sandwich, toast the buttered-bread in a pan, topped with bechamel sauce and placed under the broiler to crisp it up even more.





As you can see, my "Misters" got a little TOO crispy.




But dang!!!

This sandwich was fantastic!! I love the flakyness and crispness of the french bread. And that bechamel... out of this world!

I could get used to this!!!


I'm going to make another attempt at it tomorrow. But I promise not to burn them this time. I'll keep you posted w/ the outcome.



However, I stopped dead in my tracks when I realized this was starting to look more like an italian sandwiches with the provolone and the prosciutto! So it can't technically be a croque-monsieur. So translating "crispy mister" into italian finds me at the title of "Croccante Signore"... hmm, I like the sound of that!



enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails