Croque-Monsieur... literally translated from French, the "Crispy Mister"
From what I understand it's the french take on a fancy grilled ham and cheese sandwich.
Make the sandwich, toast the buttered-bread in a pan, topped with bechamel sauce and placed under the broiler to crisp it up even more.
As you can see, my "Misters" got a little TOO crispy.
This sandwich was fantastic!! I love the flakyness and crispness of the french bread. And that bechamel... out of this world!
I could get used to this!!!
I'm going to make another attempt at it tomorrow. But I promise not to burn them this time. I'll keep you posted w/ the outcome.
However, I stopped dead in my tracks when I realized this was starting to look more like an italian sandwiches with the provolone and the prosciutto! So it can't technically be a croque-monsieur. So translating "crispy mister" into italian finds me at the title of "Croccante Signore"... hmm, I like the sound of that!
enjoy your time in the kitchen...
- ► 2011 (46)
- pancetta & parmesan and prosciutto & provolone...
- Bounty of tomatoes...
- Fresh, fresh, fresh...
- Attempt #2 - Croque-Monsieur aka Croccante Signore...
- pining for figs
- my take on Croque-Monsieur... attempt #1
- Drink Recipe: Heatwave Lemonade...
- Carnitas tacos and Not-Your-Average-Corn dish...
- Quick Bolognese and another panini...
- Easy Shrimp Fajitas...
- Grilled Chicken, prosciutto and provolone panini!
- Simple homemade caramel sauce...
- A brunch and a new quiche
- Happy 4th!!!
- ▼ July (14)