Thursday, November 18, 2010

RECIPE: Lori's (award-winning) White Chili



Award-winning?! Yeah, it's THAT good! And it's not that difficult...


OK - so I've submitted it a few times into an annual party at my work. But I've only ever won 2nd and 3rd place. (Does that count?)


Here's where I start... tonight I cut my recipe in half.

Afterall, it's just the two of us...



But first let me show you this beautiful chicken ... this is one of the fine rotisserie chickens from CostCo. I've used my own chicken for this from time to time, but you do have to admit... their chickens are amazing!



So for the half-recipe I used just one half of the chicken... (the other half of the chicken is going in the fridge for tomorrow night's dinner).



But before I did anything with the chicken packaging I made sure to get all of this... good stuff!



Then I got to dicing and slicing... starting w/ the garlic...



I set the garlic aside. And diced up the onion. Into the pan go the onions...



Saute, stir, season...





I added the spices to the transluscent onions and allowed them to toast up a bit before adding the garlic...





Next I added the garlic...



And then the chicken and stock... bringing it to a boil...





Followed by the diced green chiles...





And the run-off juices from the rotisserie chicken... stir, simmer for a little bit. Add the beans...

It really IS that quick and easy...



A couple minutes before you serve, toss in the diced green onions and cilantro. This fresh addition at the very add just brightens up the flavor a bit... a tiny little scrumptious bit.



As you'll note, this is kind of a "soupy" chili. So if you prefer a thicker chili, check out the note below for a tip on thickening the chili.

You can thank me later...





Chicken Chili
Recipe courtesy Lori Tisdale

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 whole chicken, pulled from bones (CostCo rotisserie chicken is my personal favorite!)
1 medium onion, diced
6-8 cups chicken broth
8 ounces diced green chiles
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3 - 15 oz. each cans cannellini beans, drained
Salt/pepper to taste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Pinch cayenne pepper
scant ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
4 green onions, diced

Instructions:
Heat oil in large stock pot over medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent. Salt slightly while sautéing. (Note: If you are using uncooked chicken, add now. Continue to stir until all pink is gone from chicken.) Add garlic in the last minute of cooking and saute until soft.

Add cumin, red pepper flakes, oregano and cayenne. Stir spices in with onions. Let them hang out for a few minutes. This will allow them to roast just slightly and bring out more flavor.

Stir in broth, and bring to a simmer. (Note: If you are using already cooked chicken, add it now.) Simmer 10-15 min. Stir in beans and simmer 5 min. This can be eaten now, but the longer you cook it the better it tastes. Reduce heat and cover.

About 5 mins before serving add about half of the cilantro and green onions, stir well. Dish up and garnish with some of the remaining cilantro/green onions.

Optional toppings: grated monterey jack cheese, tortilla chips, etc.

Serves 6-8



And here's a tip from Lori...
For a thicker consistency, dissolve 2 large handfuls of corn tortilla chips in some of the chicken broth (about 2 cups). Bring to a boil, stir well until most of the chips dissolve. Add mixture to pot with the rest of the chili.



enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails