Sunday, November 21, 2010

RECIPE: Candied Pecans



I think I'm turning into a nut girl... I always used to say "I don't like nuts!"


But I've discovered that I really do... I REALLY do! Here's my newest nut love! So to my 3 faithful readers, I'd like to introduce you to the yumminess that is candied pecans...

Here's where I started... whisking an egg white.



Then add the flavor that I'm fallen in love with for this time of year... nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar and kosher salt.





Whisk, add nuts...





... toss until they're well-coated...



... and transfer to a greased baking sheet, using forks (so as to leave the extra sugar mixture behind in the bowl).

Slide this into the preheated oven (300 degrees F) and allow them to bake for about 20 minutes. Using a spatula, toss the pecans slightly... and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes.



Set aside to cool and then enjoy ... to the fullest.



The meringue-like layer coating these pecans is part-sweet, with a hint of salt...



Oh, and did I say they resembled candy?! Yes, that's what they are... candy! You and your family members can thank me later... that is, if you decide to share any of them.



Candied Pecans
Recipe courtesy Lori Tisdale

Ingredients
1 large egg white
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups pecan halves

Instructions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Brush large rimmed baking sheet with butter.

In large bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Whisk in sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt – whisk until mixture is thick. Stir in pecans until well-coated. Transfer nuts to cookie sheet. Using forks separate nuts so they are in a single layer. Discard remaining coating.

Bake nuts for about 20 minutes. With a spatula toss the nuts well – this will help them bake evenly. Continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on baking sheet. Transfer to air-tight container; store at room temperature. Consume within 4-5 days.




enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails