Monday, November 8, 2010

RECIPE: Gramma Helen's Sugar Cookies (my favorite cookie ever!)

I would like to introduce you to... the V-E-R-Y best cookie I've ever had!!! They are flaky and light and buttery and sugary... and THE perfect little cookie!

You'll want to make these for yourself... you can thank me later.




These are cookies are a family tradition ... my Gramma Helen bakes these every year at Christmas time. (And thinking back on Christmases at her house, when I was a kid, I could often be found sneaking to the pantry to find the large coffee tin that hid the extra stash...)


But let me digress for a moment... take a look at my small kitchen workspace. I keep all of my baking goods in that green basket. And when I get ready to bake I pull it out, along with my canisters of flour and sugar and what not. Immediately to the left of the basket is the sink (which is directly under the window). And to the right of the espresso machine is the corner of the kitchen where I have a marble block that holds the utensils, knife block, salt/pepper and cooking oils.

As you can see, I have VERY LITTLE counter space to work with. But I make the most of it.... I love the tiles: that old school pattern speaks to my soul. (And I'm not going to comment on how horrible the grout looks... I'm just not. That's another blog post altogether.)



So now that we have THAT out of the way... let's look at our ingredients.



BUTTER and SUGAR! Duh... canola oil, eggs, powdered sugar, cream of tartar, vanilla and almond extract, flour, baking soda and kosher salt.



When baking cookies I always start by combining the dry ingredients first. Always. I just like to get it done and get those ingredients taken care of and out of the way. This way... when it's time to add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients it's all ready.

Cream together the butter, oil and sugar...



Next? The eggs, almond and vanilla extracts...



... and in small batches, add all the flour and combine until well-mixed.



Then the dough gets chilled, for at least an hour. While you're waiting for the dough to chill call your Gramma/Mom/Aunt/Sister and tell her how much you love her.



The reason I needed to chill the dough is because of the next step.



Using the flat-bottom mug and the plate of sugar it's sitting on (above) I flattened each dough ball...





... until all of them were ready to go.



Into a 325 degree F oven... and 15 mins later...



Then you won't be able to resist yourself.





You can thank me later... after you call your personal trainer or join the gym again ('cuz you're going to eat so many of these that you'll feel guilty).

Now if I can just find an old coffee tin so I can stash these in the panty like Gramma used to... it'll be just like the good ol' days.

I love you Gramma... you rock!!!

(Note from Lori: this isn't your typical decorate-with-colored-frosty-and-sprinkles cookie. It's a VERY flaky buttery cookie that doesn't need any frosty or sprinkles. Just trust me on this one... )




Gramma Helen’s Sugar Cookies
Recipe courtesy Gramma Helen Haraldsen

Ingredients
1 cup butter
¾ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract

Instructions
Cream oil, butter and sugar. Blend well. Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract. Sift dry ingredients and add to mixture. Chill dough for at least an hour before baking.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Form in small ball (teaspoon size) or place on cookie sheet with teaspoon. Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar. Bake 15 minutes or until slightly browned.





enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails