Wednesday, January 20, 2010

RECIPE: Spicy shredded beef

Disclaimer: On this one you're going to have to use your imagination... so put your creative cap on ... ready?

Now that we've gotten THAT taken care of... ahem, I love making this beef for tacos or enchiladas or quesadillas or anything you might want spicy shredded beef for...

Here we go...

Hot dutch oven or large pot with heavy lid...
Heat oil in the bottom of pot...
Carefully slide seasoned roast (kosher salt/pepper) into hot oil...
Hear that sizzle?! That's what you want...

Keep an eye on that roast and turn after a few minutes to brown on all sides...




Skin and quarter the onion, leaving the root in-tact so that the pieces stay together...



Skin and crush several garlic cloves...



To quote a famous line from a food show on tv: "Everybody in the pool"...



Add the 2 tomato sauces, diced chiles, ground cumin and beef stock (wait, what? you don't see the diced chiles or ground cumin?! this is where you will have to use your imagination...)



Approximately 2 1/2 hours later this is what you have...



Allow the beef to cool slightly in the pot and then tear apart with two forks...



Since I've made my beef the day before I'm using it, I'm transferring it to a storage container for the refrigerator...



But not before I transfer some of the juices and chiles ... and don't forget the garlic cloves!



We used this beef last night to make enchiladas and wow... even if I have to say so myself... this meat was the bomb! It's just made it's way to the top of our "do again soon" list...

And the critique from my hero-of-a-hubby ... "I wish I could invite Steve over... then I could give it 3 thumbs up!" I love my husband's sense of humor... I think I'll keep him!

Enough said...



Spicy Shredded Beef
Recipe from Lori Tisdale

Ingredients
1 pound chuck roast
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
olive oil
5 cloves garlic, smashed
1 large onion, quartered
1 small can of tomato sauce
4 ounces diced green chiles
6 ounces El Pato tomato sauce
1 cup beef stock
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Season all sides of the beef with a fair amount of salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, or other heavy pot that has a tight cover, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the onion, garlic and beef to the pot, browning the meat on all sides, taking the time to get a nice crust on the outside.

Add the diced green chiles, El Pato, regular tomato sauce and ground cumin. Sauces should just cover the meat. Bring to a boil, cover with lid and transfer to hot oven. Cook for 2 ½ hours, or until meat is fork tender. Allow meat to cool in the liquid. Shred meat and set aside.




enjoy your time in the kitcen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails