Monday, December 14, 2009

RECIPE: Tart Cranberry-Orange Sauce, from Debbie Graff

By popular demand... I'm posting my favorite cranberry sauce. My bestest girlfriend Debbie made me sample this (despite my insistance that I DID NOT like cranberry sauce).

And I was blown away... who knew I liked cranberry sauce?!

Tart Cranberry-Orange Sauce

Ingredients
4 cups fresh cranberries (about 1 pound)
1 cup orange juice, divided
3/4 cup sugar
3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
4 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice


Instructions
Combine cranberries, 3/4 cup orange juice, sugar, cinnamon sticks, orange peel, lemon juice, lemon peel and allspice in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until berries burst and liquids start to thicken, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Mix in remaining 1/4 cup orange juice. (Can be made 4 days ahead. Cover and chill.) Discard cinnamon sticks, transfer to bowl, and serve.

For more of a relish, reduce amount of orange/lemon juice by half... and watch while mixture boils so that it doesn't boil dry.





enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails