Thursday, December 31, 2009

RECIPE: onion dip on steroids!

Recently, my friend Marsha turned me onto this recipe: Pan-fried onion dip. Thank you, Barefoot Contessa... this dip is sooooooooooooo stinking good. You didn't have to share this recipe with the world... but you did! Thank you for that!



And I've made it a few times and it's a great hit... from a house-warming party to the office to a Creative Getaway... the dip is a hit! Again, Barefoot... thanks for helping me look so good. But I have decided to raise the bar... just a couple extra steps. Take a stroll through my kitchen and see for yourself. Here's how I do it:

First, I fry some bacon in my All-Clad... I love the way that pan crisps up the bacon!



While the bacon is frying, I slice up two medium-sized yellow onions.



And like the recipe calls, I add some butter and oil to the pan WITHOUT removing any of the bacon grease. (I just reduce the oil by the approximate amount of bacon grease left in the pan...)



The heat is set to medium heat, and I'm stirring those onions around like there's no tomorrow... ok, but only because I'm scraping off all the bacon goodness from the bottom and sides of that All-Clad pan. Go ahead, I dare you... oh, and don't forget to add those spices. The cayenne pepper is a perfect fit!



And while Barefoot Contessa's recipe says to brown and caramelize the onions for about 20 more minutes... I let mine hang out on low for almost an hour. Just makes them a little darker... and a little more fantastic!



Next? Well, let's back up for a second... before I started slicing the onions I took out some cream cheese to come to room temperature. To that I added some sour cream and mayonnaise... yes, it's that creamy!



And then it's time to bring it all together. First we add caramelized onions to the creamy goodness...



And then we crumble about 4 slices of bacon in there... and keep stirring...



And that's it... it takes some time... but it's oh-so-worth-it!!!



So, can you blame me?! I crust up some bread under the broiler (drizzled with a little bit of olive oil)... and start dipping...


Pan Fried Onion Dip
Source: Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients
2 large yellow onions,
4 tablespoon butter
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup sour cream
½ cup good mayonnaise

Instructions
Cut the onions in half, and then slice them into 1/8 inch thick half rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes, until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.

Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings.

Serve at room temperature.


enjoy your time in the kitcen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails