Saturday, June 5, 2010

Raclette at the Swiss Chalet



While in Tahoe last week I noticed a restaurant on Tahoe Blvd I wanted to check out online. I wanted to see if they had "raclette" on their menu... and what did their website tell me?

That they had raclette...



I talked my very loving (and gracious) family members to go out for yet another meal (even though a few of us were still full from lunch). We each just ordered an appetizer...

I first had raclette in a small village in Switzerland called "Gruyeres"... yes, like the cheese. Raclette is a certain brand of cheese that melts very well and browns up nicely under the broiler. It has a very gentle "browned" taste to it... a taste like I'd never tasted before. Click here for more on raclette.



In Tahoe, it was served a little differently... since it was an appetizer it was served in a nice tidy portion. (Part of me was disappointed - but the other side of me told me I shouldn't have much more than this anyway... ahem!)

On the menu it read "Raclette - served over potatoes, with cornichons". I had to ask what "cornichons" stood for (since that didn't come with the raclette serving I had in Gruyere). The waiter explained that they were pickled vegetables. The small pickled onion and gherkin were a nice addition to this plate...

Once melted, raclette cheese is very different from fondue. Fondue is more creamy... more like a sauce or a dip. Raclette is more true to the melted cheese form... and perfect over potatoes!!! Or on bread... or even by itself.


If you have never had raclette... I encourage you to search out a place nearby so you can try it. It'll change your view of cheese! I promise...




enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails