Sunday, June 6, 2010

the PERFECT (yummy and quick) summer lunch...



It hit 90 degrees F here this weekend (which doesn't make me very happy - I'm more of a cold-weather gal)... in fact, let me ask: am I the only one who plans my summer meals around how long it would require me to stand in front of a hot stove? I CANNOT stand the heat!

So on to more positive things... I took the opportunity to make a yummy, quick summer lunch.


(Um, have I said yet how yummy and quick this was?! )


First, asparagus in my (NEW) cast iron grill pan... drizzle with a lil' bit of olive oil and garlic salt.





Next, panko-crusted shrimp. But this isn't just any ol' plain panko crust... to the panko I added onion powder, garlic salt and chili powder. Just adds a few layers of flavor ... they aren't over-powering flavors, just a background of flavor.

Quick steps for panko-crusted anything...

1) One egg, beaten. Place shrimp (or anything else, for that matter) in egg and thoroughly coat it. 2) Transfer to separate bowl that has panko in it (don't forget to season it for some extra flavor). 3) Toss shrimp in the panko a few times to ensure it is completely covered.
4) Transfer shrimp to medium-hot saute pan with a bit of olive oil in it so it fries up nicely.
And last ...
5) Once fried on both sides, transfer shrimp to paper towel to drain off excess oil.

And voila...



Aren't those beautiful!

Quick sprinkle of kosher salt (not too much - just a touch)... and it's ready to plate!

So let's take another look at it...



You could sprinkle some lemon juice over the top ... but I didn't have any lemons on hand. So I hit it with a few sprinkles of orange zest.

Wow... I'm a genius! (baa haa haa!!!) What a great flavor layer! Try it for yourself...




enjoy your time in the kitchen...


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails