Sunday, May 29, 2011

well THAT didn't work ...

I woke up in the middle of the night (some of my best ideas happen either in the shower or with a startled wake up): "Ooooh! I'll make some cinnamon rolls in the morning!"

I've never made cinnamon rolls before. My mom used to all the time. And I know it took her a long time. And there was a lot of waiting involved. But I was prepared.


So I tackled it: I lined up all the ingredients and started snapping pictures... and by the time I got to the mixing stage I knew something was wrong. The flour and the wet mixture didn't really come together. The dough was just dry... and then I had to add more water to get the dough to look like what I thought it should look like.

But at a certain moment in time I knew these weren't going to come out like I had hoped. But I kept at it...

I followed all the rest of the steps: allow the dough to rest, divide in half, roll out, layer with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon/brown sugar (and half of them with raisins, for me)... placed them in a baking container and set them aside to rest some more.


Below is a picture of the rolls BEFORE rising.




However, as you'll see below, 2 1/2 hours later they still hadn't hardly risen at all.




They weren't possibly going to rise anymore after that amount of time... so I took my chances and baked them.

And then I started bargaining with myself: "Maybe I could suggest they are 'mini-cinnamon rolls'?" But when I pulled them out of the oven I noticed the outsides of the rolls were all flaky and cracking and looked dried out...

I drizzled them with frosting... and took a bite...




And then I changed my mind: "Maybe I should face reality and just call them petrified cinnamon rolls'?"

Sad, sad day ...


And to top it off, my hubby walked into the living room a few minutes later and sheepishly confessed: "Sorry honey. Don't take it personally, but I only ate two of them. My teeth hurt."


No matter the failure, I will try it again. I will start by buying some new yeast. And I'll take it from there...


Anyone else have any failed kitchen projects that you won't let get the better of you?! I want to hear about them!





enjoy your time in the kitchen...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were these PW's recipe?
Marjie

Nancy said...

My kids still talk about my "black potatoes". Easter family dinner no less. Well...I was young and less experienced. I thought I'd get a head start on scalloped potatoes by getting all ready the night before. And THIS time, I would cook them slow & long, NOT doing my usual "par-boil" first. Do it the slow, old-fashioned RIGHT way. What I did not know is that overnight raw potatoes, that have not been rinsed will bleed their starch. They look great when you put them in the oven, but all that starch just turns BLACK. Really yuck. And they NEVER got done. Hard and dark. Ugly and not good. Oh well...so glad the ham was good!

Lori said...

marjie - no, these aren't PW's cinnamon rolls. Apparently, I need to figure out how to work with yeast before I can make 7 pans of cinnamon rolls. ha!

Lori said...

Nancy - I've done something similar with potatoes. They weren't quite black - however, gray isn't pretty either. Yuck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails