Sunday, August 1, 2010

RECIPE: Mom's Banana Bread



Feeling homesick today. I woke up with a migraine, which makes me want to cry. (But it seems to be waning as the day goes on.) But I still want to cry. I miss my Gramma M. I miss my Gramma H. I miss my Mom and Dad. And my lil' bro.... 'nuf said.

(Where's the tissue...)

And the over-ripe bananas were telling me to make some bread, before it's too late.

My lil' bro comes into town in a few days and he likes this banana bread too! So maybe I can make him homesick too...

This is where I start... I sifted the dry ingredients. (Just like mom learned to do in her 7th grade Home Ec class.)



Move on to the bananas, mashed.







Next, cream together the wet ingredients.









And as Mom taught me, add in the dry ingredients in small batches. Otherwise all of the dry ingredients go flying all over the kitchen when you turn on the beaters. (I once tested fate... it wasn't pretty.)



Add another batch of the dry ingredients...



... until all is combined. Then you can pour it into a well-greased loaf pan, smooth out the top (so it cooks evenly) and slide it into the pre-heated oven.



About 45 - 50 minutes later... you have a beautifully golden crust on top. And the house starts to smell like Mom is here.



Allow it to cool completely on a rack for at least 30 minutes... but keep some butter and a knife close by. You'll want some of this very soon...




So here is Mom's Banana Bread recipe... thanks Mom. Good memories rush through my kitchen while this is baking.


Mom's Banana Bread
Recipe courtesy Janie Haraldsen, 7th grade Home Ec class

Ingredients
2 cups flour, sifted
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 egg
¼ cup shortening
2 ripe bananas, mashed

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

Combine flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder; set aside. In a large mixing bowl cream together shortening, sugar and egg. Stir in mashed bananas. Add dry ingredients, ¾ cup at a time until batter is mixed well.

Add batter to a well greased loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove to cooling rack. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes before removing loaf from pan to continue to cool.



OK - I'm serious. Where's the tissue?!







enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails