Tuesday, January 18, 2011

RECIPE: reduced balsamic glaze


You are looking at a baked salmon fillet glazed with a balsamic reduction, served over a simple Israeli couscous. YUM!

It's almost sweet, it's rich and savory... it's the perfect topping for salmon (grilled or baked or broiled or poached), for chicken (baked or grilled or bbq'd), or to use as a dip for grilled bread... and next I'm going to enjoy it drizzled over a plate of tomato and mozzarella slices.


Here's what I started with... balsamic vinegar, spicy brown mustard, sherry, honey, garlic and salt/pepper. Tonight I used this on baked salmon fillets... a perfect combination!

Over medium-low heat I sauteed the garlic (here I added a small bead of canola oil to the pan).


After two or three minutes I added the rest of the sauce ingredients: sherry, honey, mustard, balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper. I gave it a good whisk... and watched for it to start it's gentle bubbling.

Within about 5 minutes it had reduced slightly and thickened up a bit (unfortunately I neglected to get a picture of the bubbling action)... so I drizzled it over the salmon that had been waiting so patiently.

And since it goes well with these flavors I diced up some fresh stems of oregano (from my own herb garden) and sprinkled it on top of the salmon before baking the fillets.


Before serving up the salmon I drizzled just a tad more sauce over the top (and over the couscous as well, OF COURSE)... and then asked the world to be quiet for at least 3 minutes while I enjoyed the best part of the day...

Confession: I have been a bit intimidated to try this sauce at home. But after going out on a limb and trying it for myself now I'm slightly upset at myself for not being more adventurous in my kitchen... so, so, so good!


Balsamic Reduction

Ingredients
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sherry (or white wine)
1 tablespoon honey (or agave nectar sweetener)
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
In a small saucepan over medium heat, lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray, sauté garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add sherry, honey, balsamic vinegar, mustard and salt/pepper to taste. Whisk together and allow to simmer, uncovered, for about 3 minutes. Whisk every minute or so and allow to reduce slightly. Sauce will thicken slightly.

Immediately top fish or chicken and cook meat according to instructions. Brush additional sauce on meat after being cooked . Also great over tomato/mozzarella salad, as a dip for grilled bread… etc.



enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails