Sunday, April 4, 2010

Garlic-Cilantro Chimichurri sauce

Tried my hand, for the first time, at chimichurri sauce. And to be honest with you, I'm not even sure it's a "chimichurri", by definition. But it was sure yummy along with our steaks!

Take a trip with me ...

Here's what I started with...



First I chopped up the ingredients ... just a rough chop. Since the ingredients get zippped with my immersion blender (purchased at a local thrift store!!! and yes, it works great!!!) I didn't have to spend too much time chopping.

Garlic first...





And into the large mixing cup ... waiting for the next layer of flavors.



Moving along... to the shallot. Oh do I love my shallots! What is a "shallot"? What do they taste like? (I'm glad you asked!!!) To my taste, they resemble a mix between a red onion and garlic. But they have a more delicate taste...









And, into the bowl...



Next comes the cilantro. No need to pull the leaves from the stems... it's all going to whir together nicely. And there is so much flavor in those tender stems.





Can you guess what's next?! Keep throwing it into the bowl... and some oregano. I think I used one teaspoon.



A little lime juice...



A little olive oil...



And our first whir with the immersion blender...



A little kosher salt and cracked black pepper...



And some more whirring...



The immersion blender whirs in some air... and that's what turned it a lighter shade of green. Some of those air bubbles pop out while the sauce sits. And sitting is what you want it to do for a few hours before you enjoy it. So stick it in the refrigerator... and pull it back out at dinner to top your steaks, or your pork chops or even your tacos.



It's a good idea to taste it before pouring it over your food... it may need a little more salt or a little more olive oil mixed in. It's all to your personal taste.

This may have been my first chimichurri, but I think there will be more on the horizon! What's YOUR favorite version of this sauce? What ingredients do you put in your sauce? And what do you pour it on?




enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails