Saturday, March 6, 2010

Bistro 221 - pie by the slice on Tuesdays!

I'd like to talk to you a little bit today about carbonara. If you've never experienced carbonara you'll need to find time to seek it out and enjoy it prepared properly. From the taste of it, Bistro 221 in downtown Escondido knows how to do it just right. (I'm not even sure it's on their regular menu... but it should be!)

Here are the key ingredients: pasta (sometimes spaghetti, fettuccine, etc), bacon or pancetta, pecorino romano cheese, salt/pepper, cream and eggs. The eggs and cream are first whipped up and then tossed in with the other ingredients right at the end. The heat from the steaming pasta just cooks the eggs and the mix becomes this creamy sauce ... it really IS a perfect dish!!!

While strolling through the farmers' market last Tuesday I stumbled across a bit of gourmet pizza: carbonara pizza.



Yes, that's pasta (in this case fettuccine) on top of that pizza! I think they used slightly different ingredients (I think there was some ricotta in there - see it oozing off the side?!) And it certainly was amazing...


I clearly remember enjoying carbonara for the first time - in Geneva, Switzerland. My parents were visiting while I worked there for a few months and we were strolling around town looking for a quick bite to eat. I had never heard of "carbonara" before... but was feeling adventurous! And was I ever blown away...

I've made it a few times at home... but it's just not the same as it was that cool Spring day in Geneva. Good times...




enjoy your time in the kitchen...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails